Wednesday, March 4, 2020

"Kristine Snodgrass Typed-over" : Asemic Visual Poetry Collabs w/ De Villo Sloan



Asemic visual poetry collaboration by Kristine Snodgrass 
(Florida, USA) & De Villo Sloan (New York, USA)



These type-overs are based on a remarkable solo series by Kristine Snodgrass recently published in Brave New World. I found the series, essentially in my view a collection of asemic glyphs, to evoke mystery and a cryptic tone. I also believe her series penetrates into deep recesses of the unconscious and shows possibilities of asemic writing so far barely realized as the field opens. See the solo pieces:

https://bnw-mag.blogspot.com/2020/03/kristine-snodgrass-six-asemic-pieces.html

I saw in these works a rare opportunity to apply my "type-overs" derived from concrete poetry in, hopefully, an interesting way. As much as Kristine's pieces are organic and sub-conscious, the concrete overlays are material language and rooted in the geometry of "pattern poetry." 

As I worked on the pieces a thought was running through my mind (and based on a discussion with Kristine Snodgrass): "Narrative is a process of overlays, omissions and obscuration." I am not even sure what that means. So I will leave the rest to kind AF2 viewers. 

- De Villo Sloan





by Kristine Snodgrass & De Villo Sloan




by Kristine Snodgrass & De Villo Sloan




by Kristine Snodgrass & De Villo Sloan




by Kristine Snodgrass & De Villo Sloan








4 comments:

  1. It is amazing how the "glyphs" and the pattern poetry work together. I find myself asking, are we looking for the narritive or the process here? What do you think we see? hmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's about narrative process ;). I thought a lot about these pieces due to some of the discussions we had. These thoughts came and went, but one was that your "glyphs" are on the deeply unconscious level of the Id and the "pattern poetry" is on the level of the Super-Ego (to use an old Freudian model) thus providing a repressive element or rationality - that's how we make narratives that don't drive us crazy. This probably sounds completely whacked without the context of our messages or my contemplations. Hey, I enjoyed working on these.

      Delete
  2. These came together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete