Sunday, July 28, 2019

New Asemic Writing & Art by Kerri Pullo

 
Asemic art, writing and calligraphy by Kerri Pullo (Tucson, Arizona, USA)
 
 
 
I am thrilled to share this stunning new work by Kerri Pullo on Asemic Front 2.
 
An acclaimed asemic writer and visual artist who needs no introduction to this audience, Kerri Pullo has been a generous contributor to Asemic Front from the beginning, even when we were virtually unknown. Her high quality and intellectually challenging pieces here have generated great interest and, I am certain, helped attract the diversity of artists and writers who have and are making Asemic Front an epic chronicle of visual poetry in the 21st century.  
 
We know asemics are highly subjective. With that in mind I want to make the very non-objective statement that I find the piece above to be one of the finest examples of Kerri Pullo's work I have ever seen. (I add, with great pride, that I am deeply familiar with the phases of her work and have even had the privilege to be her editor!)
 
She is widely praised and noted for her calligraphy, which is showcased in this work. Kerri achieves an asemic perfection of calligraphy in the piece that few, if any, can match. (Don't take my word alone; see what other commentators have said about her skills.) The extraordinary blue-aquamarine tonality (rather than black and white) reveal the possibilities of asemic art and asemics as a branch of visual poetry.
 
Another interesting aspect of this work is the linearity. Lately, I have noticed Kerri Pullo has been exploring complex structures rather than linearity and simple glyph constructs. Here is an example:
 
 
 
 
 
 
I hope to soon take a closer look at these structural pieces. In the meantime, again, I am very excited to be able to share this new work on Asemic Front 2.
 
- De Villo Sloan
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment